View Profile Lambtaco

All 12 Game Reviews

3 w/ Responses

Is this unfinished?

Ten seconds into the game I hit an invisible wall, in a 2D platformer. Would it have bee so hard to make it a sheer cliff instead of a pile of rocks you clearly should be able to jump over? Or even just have the screen stop scrolling so you hit the edge? It's also really easy to get bugged onto pretty much any vertical surface by just jumping into it and holding left/right. At the start of the cave segment I jumped off the top of the screen and never came back down, so I had to restart.

This wasn't even a game. This was like the intro to a game. The story would have been served much better by a one or two page comic. Presented as a game it's just disappointing (and even a little insulting) because there is no challenge or agency, you just progress linearly to the end reading text boxes. This was about as interactive as turning the pages in a book, only less so because you can't turn back, and sometimes it glitches out an you get stuck.

All the atmosphere and world building effort is wasted when it abruptly ends as soon as it looks like something interesting might happen. Art's pretty good for what it is, though personally I find faux-retro minimalist pixel art to be played out and lazy.

In some other medium I might have enjoyed this, but presented as a game it just pissed me off.

Pretty fun game. Addicting, and makes failure feel like it's the fault of the player, not the game. Spritework was good, and the music has that old Squaresoft sound. But a few issues stood out.

1. The gates look a lot like ladders, which confused me the first time or two I interacted with them. But the chains were worse. They looked like part of the background and not walls. Every time I started a stage with a chain wall I tried to run past them again.

2. There was no way to adjust your horizontal positioning by just a couple of pixels. Inching forward or making a small correction to a jump was impossible. An instant tap of the directional key causes the character to move 5 or 6 whole pixels, which is annoying with all the precision jumps the player is expected to make.

3. Maybe this was just me, but the water boss seemed much harder than the fire and grass bosses. I died on the latter two a total of about ten times put together, but I must have died 60 times on the water boss because of all the single tile platforms.

(There was also no music the first time I started the fourth area. Just a small glitch I thought I'd mention.)

All the above is pretty minor, and I'd probably give the game the full five stars were it not for the Wind Waker bullshit padding telling me to go back and find some keys. I elected to stop playing at that point. Had it been to unlock some secret or achievement I may have tried it. But blatantly barring progress for cryptic backtracking is unacceptable.

Still a really solid game. Good work in general. I almost finished this one ( I assume) and I usually lose interest in browser games after a minute or two.

Really cool idea, but user generated content lets it down. It just felt like fighting Quick Man (too spazzy) or Metal Man (Easy if you know what you're doing) for 90%+ of the bots. Which results in a game that isn't as fun as it should be. Once I was up against a bot with a beam sword in a mazelike arena, that only prior knowledge of the bosses pattern could possibly allow me to beat.

And I found the rating system to be a bit unclear. Am I rating how much I liked the bot or how difficult it was? There should have been rating for each, because there are many difficult but cheap bots, and some easy but fun ones. That way spazzy and heavily memory based bots could be sorted out in favour of legitimately challenging ones.

Bottom line: Relying so heavily on user generated content pretty much ruins the experience for me. when I play a game I want professional -- or at least dedicated amateur -- content.

Oldschool in more ways than one.

Classic shmup action. The graphics look something like 2003 Flash games, but behind that is a really fun game. Simple and easy to play. The time mechanic was fun and useful.

My loan complaint is the health recovery of the third boss. Without the right upgrades I had to spend a good fifteen minutes hammering away at it.

Overall great job, though.

ThomSip responds:

Thanks for the 9 :)

Great fun.

Two questions though.
1. Why didn't you use the Zelda II sprite for link. You seemed to have used the moves and physics from Zelda II, but the sprite from the original Zelda.
2. Why can the screen scroll to the left? Even when you play as Mario?

Really well made. Attention to detail is great. Megaman felt like he was too slow, but maybe I'm imagining things.

If you ever wanted to add more guys I'd recommend Ryu from Ninja Gaiden.

explodingRabbit responds:

Wow, you have amazing attention to detail. You are correct, Link's movements and physics are from Zelda 2. I originally used the Zelda 2 sprite and used only the small link Sprite for his first power state (before you get a mushroom). But I found that it was much more fun being little Link, and it made me not want to get a mushroom because I didn't want to be big Link. So I kept him little because he's more fun and it helps to differentiate him from the other characters. And it's just my own opinion, but I think the sprites for Zelda 2 Link are kind of ugly.

Making the screen scroll to the left was just my own choice. I don't like in games when I miss something and can't go back, so I changed it. I think it makes the game more fun, but I'm sure some people disagree.

I was going to have 9 characters originally, and Ryu was one of them, but I decided to just do 6 because the game was already a significant amount of work. Perhaps he will be in an expanded version or future game now that I already have the engine created.

Thank you for the questions. :)

Great atmosphere.

The story, the style, and the music were all great, but the game sort of played itself. Not much to do other than click where it tells you to. If it weren't short I probably wouldn't have finished it. Not bad, but not really fun either.

Okay idea. It's got some rough edges.

There are alot of things that need to be fixed with this game. It seems like a novice effort. You need to polish it more.
1) The enemies aren't affected by the walls (except for the one that's killed by the walls)
2) You have to hit the reset button after you die. How hard would it have been to fix that?
3) After the guy dies you can still push him around with the line an finish the level.
4) The levels where you can't draw are just crappy one-screen platformers.
5) Bad collision detecting, specifically with the falling spikes and crawling snakes.

It just looks like you found a code to draw with the mouse and then said, "I'm making a game out of this!"
It's not horrible, mind you. It just needs some polishing. The music was good, and fit the mood.

Nice work, man.

It's nice to see something from that collab being released for once. I'm guessing this means it's totally over then. So I can submit my part too. Awesome. Shame that thing never took off.
Anyway, good job. Sounds, graphics all good. And you gave it a challenge, sweet.

BoMToons responds:

Yeah, I was holding out, hoping it would be revived, but after talking to Glaiel, I realized hope was pretty slim, so here we are.

Thanks for leaving a review.

Good, but Plain.

It's a good game, but it could do alot better with some more complicated graphics and a theme of sorts. Like, make it so that the way the game works is related to the real world. Maybe you're in a spaceship and you have to collec spacegold while avoiding comets (bad example but you get the idea). I didn't find any bugs, good job.

A few problems in an otherwise acceptable tutorial

Please accept this as constructive criticism.
Starting with the preloader. I'm not sure how I can accept your advice on making a preloader when yours didn't work properly. The bar moved out and filled the space repeatedly while the movie loaded, most preloaders fill up as a function of the amount of the flash that has loaded (not to mention I was gazing at a white screen for like 8 seconds while the preloader loaded). Also it started in the middle, not really a huge deal but I prefer the traditional left to right action. On the plus side you had the courtesy to use a border. (It really grinds my gears when the bar has no end and you can't tell how close it is to finishing.
Now onto the Frame-by-Frame. It's good that you provided an example movie, but it should have shown more action in the figures, like guys running or jumping. And your method is a bit risky. A better method (in my opinion) is to create the beginning and end looks for a character and fill in the middle (I'm not going into too much detail here) instead of doing it chronologically which can cause scaling problems along with varied speeds of movement.
As for the AS, it was very simple and unnecessary. Most, if not all, of the info you provided can be found with the material that comes with Flash (with a lot more detail, no less). At least you didn't steal a game engine and give it to newbs who don't know how to use it.
The menu seemed a bit slow at times and somewhat difficult to navigate at points (most of the time it was fine, but some points were annoying).
A nice effort but it seems a few more minutes of brushing it up would greatly improve it. Good luck with your next Flash.

Used to be MCSM Studios, and before that The_Green_M. Lambta.co makes comedy sketches, cartoons, and games. Since I don't know what the purpose of friending is on NG, I'll be denying all requests. Nothing personal.

Captain Mutton @Lambtaco