The much awaited update to AKR2 is done. But due to some changes to the mechanics it's going to need some comprehensive testing before I can give it a wide release. I can't do it alone (at least not very quickly) so I'll need help testing. The preview is here.
Here are some of the changes made:
- WALLJUMPING: Due to numerous requests and complaints, I've reworked the walljump mechanics to closely resemble those found in the New Super Mario Bros. games. This is one of the major reasons I have to do the big testing period again. I have to be sure the game is still beatable and not broken by the changes.
- EASY SILVER COIN COLLECTION: The other big one. When you've already beaten a level, you don't have to beat it again to get it's silver coins. Just collect the coin and wait ten seconds for it to verify. I think this is working perfectly, but I need testing.
- KICKING BABIES: As funny as getting killed by a baby is, it can interfere with the fun. Now when the player contacts a baby, instead of the player taking damage, he kicks the baby. I will likely improve the animation for this.
- BLACK PITS: There are now dark black wavy thingies over death pits. I added this after watching a player kill himself looking for secrets. If it's got black stuff on it, it'll kill you. Let me know if I missed a spot.
- EASY PICKUPS: You no longer have to duck to pick up enemies and pluck vegetables. Simply stand still over top of them and press the ATTACK key. Hopefully this is working right; needs testing.
- ICE TRACTION: With the swimming powerup, you won't slip around on ice. It's a little something I felt the game needed.
- LAVA SWIMMING: With the white powerup during the day (drybones) you could always survive in lava. But now you can swim in it like water, rather than dropping like a stone to the bottom. Needs testing to be sure it works properly.
- QUICKSAND ADJUSTMENTS: Quicksand works a bit differently. Trying to jump out of it looks a bit more natural, and you can't perform a spindash when you're in it.
- SPECIAL EFFECTS: Walljumping and getting in and out of water now produce little visual effects. It's just polish, but I figure while I'm improving the other stuff I may as well pretty it up a bit.
- BUG FIXES AND TWEAKS: Fixed some small bugs (including the invisible ghosts spawning in 4-2) and chnaged a few areas around just a bit. I also added a few secrets (nmothing major, just coins)
I'd appreciate any input on the new version. And I'm sorry it took so long. I wanted to hae this out a month ago, but I got sick. Anyway, enjoy the changes.
UPDATE: I uploaded another new version to the preview page. Nothing huge. More tweaks, adderd the kicking animations, further adjustments to quicksand. If all goes well with htis version I'll release it publicly.
UPDATE 2: Finished the game to 106% myself, and found a few bugs. Pretty minor ones. Once I get those touched up 1.1 will go public.